Thursday, August 29, 2013

What is normal!

I am no different than you. I put my pants on both legs at a time. That's normal right. Lol!  What is normal any way. Is it having a 9 to 5 job, 2.5 kids, a house and two cars. (I'm still waiting to see how having half a kid is normal). Normal is defined as: "conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected".  Basically it means to be like everyone else. We are driven to be like him, or to dress like her, or have a nice car like they do. We are driven to impress people that, lets be honest, we don't even like. We bust out tails working 80 hour weeks so we can afford that BMW in the drive way that we don't even like anymore. So now we have to work even harder to upgrade, because Bob down the street just got a Hummer. 

Do we really want to live that way! Living up to the standard that the world sets and changes on a daily basis?  Don't get me wrong I have the same desires. I catch the "gotta have it" bug too. The only difference is I am not a millionaire and have 5 kids, so you can probably guess where my money goes. I've always had a rebellious spirit though and liked to go against the grain. Lucky for me Gods word speaks about this numerous times. We aren't supposed to covet our neighbors things. We aren't supposed to conform to the ways of this world. So, I have N excuse for not having better things than my buddies. Actually, I want to be this way. I want to line up with the word of God. In the last years God has allowed us to struggle with our finances. Don't get me wrong, God has always provided for our needs. We have never gone without anything that we "needed". God has been good to us. Even though we don't deserve it. 

Lets get back to the "normal" subject. As a Christian, I feel a little like an outsider. Like the new kid at school. I feel like an overweight guy at an all you can eat buffet. You know the feeling. Like everyone is watching you. Waiting for you to stumble. Bottom line is WE ARE DIFFERENT!  We are freaks, compared to the world model.  What! Jason you shouldn't say that, you might hurt someone's feelings!  Good! I hope I did, because if I did, maybe that will wake them up. We are supposed to be different, set apart, and unique. We are called to be different, radical, and not normal!  If we were the same as everyone else, there would be nothing that sets us apart. There would  be nothing that distinguishes us as Gods chosen people. I love being a freak!  And at the risk of sounding corny, a Jesus Freak!   You should too. Live bold! Live unique! Live an-normal! 




No comments:

Post a Comment